Thursday, February 8, 2007

Embrace the drama

How rude of me to forget introductions! Oh, but where to begin.

To start, the very thought that I could represent myself entirely with words is frightening to me. I won't even try to represent myself. If I were to use this as a forum for voicing my political views or talking about how I keep myself busy, you may gather an idea of where I am at this particular juncture in time; however, these details will not reveal the essence of who I am. By the next time we talk, in fact, my views may have shifted or maybe I will have taken up new interests and laid down others.

In part, perhaps I am trying to convince myself that it's okay to be ever-changing, never standing in one place for too long. On the other hand, the insecurity scares me. From what I always understood, people are supposed to "have things figured out" by the time they reach their mid-twenties. Perhaps some people do. I'm increasingly coming to the conclusion that everyone has a carefully constructed façade, you know, they seem to have it all figured out but it's all a smoke and mirror show.

I, for one, do not have everything figured out. Five years ago, I remember wishing that I was more spontaneous. I've managed to become more outwardly spontaneous, while on the inside, I've simply gone from one routine to another. The drama arising from the spontaneity, however, does thrills me, so I'm not complaining, just coming to a realization about myself. I believe that life holds many more realizations about who I am, who other people are, what the world holds, so I'm just rambling along, trying to live from one day to the next. Of course, those who know me also know that if you politely ask me how I'm doing, I may end up "talking your ear off" about my worries for the future. Noble goals. Then comes reality.

We all have to have goals though, so I'll attempt to embrace the drama as it comes. If you all would like to form a blogging support community and change the name of this blog, please post your suggestions. The quarter-life crisis is merely a catch-phrase used by some to describe the struggle that single, professional individuals who are in their mid-twenties are currently undergoing. I disagree with the implication that the quarter-life stage is a crisis; instead, I think that there are unique challenges to be worked through at each stage of life. The challenges particular to the quarter-life stage are both different and the same now than they were for previous generations, and, in my opinion, definitely deserve being discussed. In working with senior citizens to develop support groups for dealing with the challenges of aging, I recently realized, hey, myself and other people my age would benefit from a support group to discuss what we are facing! Why haven't we started a support group before? Thoughts, anyone?

2 comments:

Brandon said...

Can't this blog, as a forum for our thoughts, be support?

I appreciate your starting this as a way that I can both share in the lives of friends I know who I rarely get to interact with anymore and people who I am connected to in a Kevin Bacon way through you (new friends I'm sure). I love conversations such as this. Making new friends in a new place can be really hard so I appreciate being connected to old friends.

Desirée said...

And you've completely and totally grasped the idea!! I've known some people who view moving as a time for cutting off connections with the past. For me, that's just not okay, but that leaves the phone and email as the sole means of communication. Usually, when we are in a conversation, it is with more than one person at a time, so while it's great that we can still talk to people, the technology is altering the way in which we talk.

In fact, I do feel that this blog can be like a "support group." This is in a positive sense here for those who may think that participation in a support group is an indicator of PROBLEMS. No indeed, it is an acknowledgement of our humanity and our need to share the burden of our thoughts.

While I have been blogging on myspace.com, I haven't felt like that is a place for discussion, it offers a place where I can engage in dialogue with . . . myself. Then, I remembered that you and Patricia had your "Tuesday Night Movie" Group blog, so the idea progressed:)